We are currently recruiting Contract Art Instructors
A little about us:
The Homer Watson House and Gallery is a not-for-profit gallery located in Kitchener with the mission to celebrate the legacy of Homer Watson, the first notable Canadian landscape painter, through the appreciation, enjoyment, and practice of the arts. We do this by offering public art programs for children, youth, adults, and seniors both in our gallery and around the community.
A little about what we are looking for:
We are interested in inviting artists with a passion for facilitating art learning and exploration. We are accepting class proposals in all disciplines.
Frequently asked questions:
- How does compensation work? In-person classes are paid with an hourly rate based on experience. Virtual classes are split 50/50 in registration profit.
- How does the schedule work? The schedule is flexible at the moment. We will do our best to balance it with other programs offered at the gallery.
- What are the age groups? Children’s classes range from 6 -14 years old. Majority fall in the category between 8 – 12 years old. Adult classes range from 14 – 99 years old.
- How long are the classes? Sessions can be any where from 1 – 6 weeks. With each class 1 – 2 hours in length.
- How many projects are typically accomplished? It’s up to you. Typically, the younger the class, the more projects made.
- Course and material price? The price is determined by the gallery with your consultation. Keep in mind that participants will be purchasing all materials in addition to their registration. Also, the convenience of getting materials is an extra challenge during the pandemic. Courses will have better registration if they are not too costly. Our aim is to make art as accessible as possible.
- Who handles the logistics? Homer Watson handles the registration and customer correspondence. This includes setting up the Zoom link. The instructor is responsible for sending the gallery reference photos for virtual classes and promotion, material lists. We will also request feedback from the participants afterwards.
- Who handles the supplies? Homer Watson organizes materials kit pick up at the gallery if required. Depending on the mediums, we’ve found that most participants already own a lot of the art materials. We would need sufficient amount of time to order materials and distribute them to the participants if it’s a specialized material list.
What we need from you:
We will need a proposal form filled out completed with images:
Spring 2021 Due Jan. 30th: https://forms.gle/tmzpYBVMUP3T26gQ6
Summer 2021 Due March 26th: https://forms.gle/Yqv45ViXdXf2AztA7
Fall 2021 Due June 30th: https://forms.gle/CBcsUMwii6cNwwny8
Winter 2022: TBD
- Once the proposal is accepted, we will send you a contract.
- Please note, we do require a background check in accordance with Ontario’s provincial laws. All staff and instructors working with the public require a criminal record check including Vulernable sector screening.
Homer Watson House and Gallery is committed to equity in all aspects of its operations. We encourage applications from indigenous people, persons with disabilities, ethnic or racial minorities, immigrants and refugees, Francophones, LGBTQI+ persons, women, and persons of all socio-economic walks of life.
I think this covers most of it. Still interested? Let me know if you have any other questions.
All the best,
Education and Public Programs Coordinator
Homer Watson House & Gallery
p. 519.748.4377 ext. 233 | e. firstname.lastname@example.org