Board of Directors - Legal Specialist
Serving on the Homer Watson House and Gallery Board of Directors is an extraordinary opportunity
for anyone who is passionate about enriching our community through the enjoyment and practice of the visual arts.
The Homer Watson House and Gallery Foundation Board is seeking a skilled and knowledgeable legal specialist to join our volunteer Board, to continue advancing the great work of our amazing Staff and Board. As the Legal Specialist, you will provide a legal perspective on our affairs, recommending representation when necessary. You will work closely with HWHG’s Director/Curator to provide legal expertise on our operations, ranging from business issues to artists’ contracts. You will understand the legal state of our operations in order to interpret it to the Board.
Homer Watson House and Gallery, built in 1835, was the home of Homer Watson, Canada’s first noted landscape artist (1855-1936). In 1955, the Homer Watson House was officially recognized by the National Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. In 1980, the house and surrounding three-acre property were designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as being of architectural and historic significance.
The staff and members of the Board of HWHG recognize that fiscal responsibility is the key to achieving our four-part program of:
- Preservation of Watson’s art, his home studio and gallery and the heritage of his life
- Exhibition of Watson’s art and of contemporary local and regional artists.
- Education through programs in the visual arts for the public and school programming
- Enrichment through special events, programs and activities.
What You’ll Do:
- Working closely with HWHG’s Director/Curator, monitor and assist in the legal aspects of HWHG operations.
- Ensure legal considerations are included in Board decision-making and in HWHG activities and
- Understand the legal state of HWHG’s affairs in order to interpret it to the Board and ensure the Board understands possible legal issues and implications of its decisions and activities.
- Meet with the Director/Curator on an as-needed basis to:
- Review and discuss operations and issues to provide a legal perspective and expertise
- Recommend and assist in legal courses of action as necessary
- Attend HWHG Board meetings once per month (excluding July and August) to present legal perspectives in discussions and decisions.
Find Out More:
If you’re interested in applying or you require an alternative format please e-mail Director@homerwatson.ca