Homer Watson House
A Place of Purpose
From humble beginnings, Homer Watson House & Gallery has been the host to many remarkable artists.
The house at 1754 Old Mill Road was built by the Ferrie family, an affluent industrialist family from Scotland. Adam Ferrie was instrumental in developing the area known as Doon, building a stone mill, a distillery, a store, a cooperage (a factory producing casks and barrels) and several homes. It was originally thought that Adam built this house in 1834, however no archival information has been located to support this date. It is possible that the house was built by his brother Robert Ferrie around 1850, after Adam’s death. This date aligns more closely with the architectural style of the house. Robert Ferrie also donated the land for the Presbyterian church next door and set up a Post Office.
Homer Watson had long admired the Ferrie house for its architecture and light. In the autumn of 1881 Watson moved into the house with his wife Roxanna, renting the third floor. Due to success in his sale of art to Queen Victoria, Homer purchased the home In 1883 along with the two and three quarters acres upon which it was situated. The house would remain Watson’s home for the remainder of his life.
By 1893 the painter had added a studio, which featured a frieze displaying the names of the artists he most admired and included a small painting in each artist’s style.
The year 1906 saw more changes to the house, when a gallery, designed with classical “harmonic proportions”, was added to display Watson’s art. The gallery was intended to show Watson’s works to the many patrons who visited his studio. Clerestory windows allowed natural light to enter the gallery while providing as much wall space as possible to hang his paintings.
Watson continued to work in the house until his death on May 30, 1936. His sister, Phoebe, remained in the house until her death in 1947.
The following year the estate was sold to Ross and Bess Hamilton. In 1948 the Hamiltons established the Doon School of Fine Arts. Instructors at the School included such notables as Fred Varley of the Group of Seven. The Doon School operated until 1966. The last private owners of the Watson house were Earl Putnam and Tom and Ruthe Cayley.
In 1981 the City of Kitchener purchased the historic house for the enjoyment of the art loving public. The Homer Watson house continues to this day to be a creative domain for artists.