Donating Artworks and Artifacts
Based on our mandate and collections policy, items accepted into Homer Watson House & Gallery’s permanent collection must have an association with Homer Watson, Phoebe Watson, the Doon School of Fine Arts, or 1754 Old Mill Road.
Considerations for Potential Donors
The following considerations are taken into account when Homer Watson House & Gallery is deliberating accepting artworks, artifacts, or archival materials:
- HWHG must have the human and financial resources to acquire, document, preserve, store, and exhibit items.
- Items present opportunities for use, exhibition, research, and other programs.
- Items are in good condition – items that are in bad shape or actively deteriorating can pose a risk to other objects in the collection or to staff.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- The item’s authenticity and provenance can be reliably proven.
- There are no restrictions on the item’s use or disposition.
- Compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
I’m looking to sell artwork; can I sell it to HWHG?
HWHG does not have an allocated budget for purchasing artwork and accepts items into the permanent collection as donations.
Can HWHG do appraisals?
HWHG does not conduct appraisals and cannot offer any specific recommendations due to conflict of interest concerns. Browsing the Canadian Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers is a good place to start your search if you are looking for appraisal services.
Can I give items to HWHG as a loan?
HWHG currently only accepts loans for the purpose of specific events or exhibitions, and no longer accepts long-term or permanent loans.