School Programs 2022/2023
The HWHG permanent collection, exhibitions, and connection to the region’s rich history allow us to offer unique educational experiences to schools and students.
Our school program serves grades K –12 and can meet a wide variety of curricular goals. Visits are modified easily to the specific needs of each class. Students will be inspired to collaborate, think critically, problem solve, and communicate their ideas through discussion and creative mediums. A field trip to Homer Watson House & Gallery is a wonderful opportunity for your students to create imaginative art in a professional environment and have lots of fun along the way!
Our school program includes:
- A one hour guided exploration of the HWHG collection and exhibitions.
- A 1.5 hour, artist led, process oriented workshop designed to foster creativity, develop manual skills and cultivate personal and collective expression.
- Minimum of $100 (10 participants) applies
- Additional students $7/ participant
- Teachers and Chaperones Free
- Additional art time 30 min / $50
- In school visit $15/student + $25 travel fee within the Waterloo Region
- Clay workshop $15/student
- Clay workshop in school visit $20/student (includes setup and cleanup in the class, materials, firing (hardening of the clay) and delivery of the finished pottery within three weeks of the workshop. With in the Waterloo Region)
Duration: 1.5 Hours
LANDSCAPE PAINTING WORKSHOP
GRADES JK – 12
Inspired by the style of Homer Watson and nature on our 2.75-acre property, students will create an en plein air landscape painting. We will explore composition, colour gradation, space, identifying focal points as well as tips and tricks for painting perspective.
GRADES 1 – 8
Create your own printmaking plate by relief carving into foam! Students will learn how negative and positive space is important when creating these monotype prints.
GRADES 1 – 12
Learn to paint like Homer Watson’s sister Phoebe using rhythm, colour value and tone. Students will explore the many techniques of brush work and application of watercolour as they design their own landscape painting.
EARTHENWARE CLAY WORKSHOP
GRADES 2 – 12
Students will apply hand-building techniques to create a unique piece! Each student makes one clay masterpiece from our list of choices that the teacher pre-selects.
Choose from: Cup, pinch pot bowl, Mini planter, ornament, or Tealight holder
Details and FAQ:
- Our facility is wheelchair accessible. Accessibility is a priority at HWHG. We are pleased to adapt the schedule, format, or content of our school programs to accommodate the needs of students. In order to serve you best, please call us in advance so we can be sure to answer any questions you may have about modifications.
- In preparation for your visit, you will receive our Gallery Manners
- Dress for mess. Please tell your students to dress appropriately for the visit. During the creative workshop, we use professional materials and art supplies which means paint may stain clothing, HWHG is not responsible for damage to clothing or personal belongings. Please leave the ball gowns and tuxedos at home.
- We will email or call when clay work is ready for pick up. Each class is asked to bring labeled boxes for finished pottery pieces. Teachers are required to return to the Gallery to pick up fired pottery pieces from HWHG visits.