Your Support Matters
Make a charitable donation to Homer Watson House & Gallery
“Some may ask, what is art and why. They seem to think they can get along without it, but they don’t stop to consider, that it is one of the most vital things in life. As we struggle for a finer civilization always with beauty as an ideal, then one may say art is life.” – Homer Watson
Homer Watson House & Gallery is a charitable organization that relies on the support of our community. Contributions are essential to our continued success. Your donations help us make art accessible to everyone by providing vital support for our exhibitions, funding educational programs for adults and children, and enabling us to preserve the collection for future generations to discover and enjoy for years to come.
Your donations help
- Build a cultural legacy for future generations
- Showcase the artistic achievements and talent of local artists in the Waterloo Region and beyond
- Provide affordable programs for children, adults, and families
- Make art accessible for all
Donations of Art and Artifacts
Part of our mission is the preservation and collection of Homer and Phoebe Watson’s art and heritage of their lives, as well as that of the Doon School of Fine Arts.
Homer Watson House & Gallery greatly appreciates donations of art, artifacts, and archival material for our permanent collection. Based on our collections policy, offers must have an association with Homer Watson, Phoebe Watson, the Doon School of Fine Arts, or 1754 Old Mill Road.
The following considerations are taken into account when Homer Watson House & Gallery is deliberating accepting artworks, artifacts, or archival materials:
- HWHG must have the available resources to acquire, document, preserve, store, and exhibit items.
- Opportunities for use, exhibition, research, and items not already well represented in the collection.
- Condition – items that are in bad shape or actively deteriorating can pose a risk to other objects in the collection or to staff.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- The item’s authenticity and provenance can be reliably proven.
- There are no restrictions on the item’s use or disposition.
- Compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
Can HWHG purchase artwork?
HWHG does not have an allocated budget for purchasing items for the collection and accepts items as donations.
Can HWHG do appraisals?
HWHG does not conduct appraisals/monetary evaluations and cannot offer any specific recommendations for appraisers due to conflict of interest concerns. Browsing the Canadian Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers is a good place to start your search if you are looking for appraisal services.
Can I lend artwork to HWHG?
HWHG currently only accepts loans for the purpose of specific events or exhibitions, and no longer accepts long-term or permanent loans.