Thank you for your interest in Volunteering!
The generous contributions of volunteers enable us to achieve our mission to preserve and celebrate the legacy of Homer Watson’s creative spirit by stimulating the appreciation, enjoyment and practice of the visual arts.
Available Volunteer Positions
Do you love working with a variety of people and have a passion for giving back to the community? As a Special Events Volunteer you will work with a dynamic team of staff and volunteers at HWHG to make every community event and fundraiser a success.
What it’s like to work here
Homer Watson House and Gallery is the oldest operating art gallery in Ontario and one of the oldest galleries in Canada. Our mission is to preserve and celebrate the legacy of Homer Watson’s creative spirit by stimulating the appreciation, enjoyment and practice of the visual arts.
Our mandate is to engage in four-part program of:
- Preservation and Collection of Homer Watson’s art, his home studio and gallery and the heritage of his life, his times and that of the Doon School of Fine Arts.
- Exhibition of the broad spectrum of Watson’s art and regular shows of contemporary local and regional artists.
- Education through instructional programs in the visual arts for the general public and curriculum-based school programming.
- Enrichment through special programs, events and activities.
What you’ll be doing
As a not-for-profit organization we host a variety of community and fundraising events throughout the year. Reporting to the Education & Public Programs Coordinator, Special Event Volunteers are responsible for a wide variety of tasks relating to a given event, which may include attending regular event planning meetings, setting up for events, taking on a specific role during the event, cleaning up after the event and participating in a debriefing session.
Who we’re looking for
To be fantastic in this role you:
- Enjoy working in a team and interacting with the public
- Have strong communication skills
- Have a good understanding of HWHG and what we do
- Are willing to learn new skills
- Enjoy giving back to the community